Milwaukee Light, Heat & Traction Company, 8336 West Lapham Street, West Allis, Milwaukee County, WI
Significance: A turn of the century objective of The Milwaukee Electric Railway and Light Company, through its subsidiary The Milwaukee Light Heat and Traction Company, was to establish an interurban rail system that encompassed all of southeastern Wisconsin. The first step of this plan was completed in 1898 when a Milwaukee to Waukesha line was built. The West Allis station was built along this line five years later and was important to the line's 1907 extension to Oconomowoc and 1908 extension to Watertown, since it provided much of the power needed to run the lines. The station's importance was further enhanced by its utility as a car barn and light repair facility. It remains today, an artifact from the early days of mass transit in Milwaukee and southeastern Wisconsin.
Survey number: HAER WI-9
Building/structure dates: 1903- 1904 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1909 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1914 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1916 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1929 Subsequent Work