Rock Creek Nature Center and Planetarium, 5200 Glover Road NW, Washington, District of Columbia, DC
Significance: Rock Creek Park was established by Congress in 1890. Jurisdiction of the park was transferred to the National Park Service (NPS) in 1933 and, two years later, a small wood-frame caretaker's residence was built in the center of the park. In 1959, the Rock Creek Nature Center and Planetarium was constructed at the site, incorporating elements of the residence. It was built as part of the Mission 66 program, an NPS program undertaken, in part, to upgrade visitor facilities in the national parks across the country. The Nature Center was designed in the International Style modernism popular at the time, by architect William Haussmann of the NPS National Capital Parks Office of Design and Construction. The Nature Center is notable for its V-shaped butterfly roof, and for the use of wood and fieldstone to complement the building's natural setting.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N2241
Survey number: HABS DC-251
Building/structure dates: 1959 Initial Construction
The Bauhaus was influenced by 19th and early-20th-century artistic directions such as the Arts and Crafts movement, as well as Art Nouveau and its many international incarnations, including the Jugendstil and Vienna Secession. In the Weimar Republic, a renewed liberal spirit allowed an upsurge of radical experimentation in all the arts. The most important influence on Bauhaus was modernism, a movement whose origins lay as early as the 1880s. After World War Germans of left-wing views were influenced by the cultural experimentation that followed the Russian Revolution, such as constructivism. The Bauhaus style, however, also known as the International Style, was marked by harmony between the function of an object or a building and its design. Bauhaus is characterized by simplified forms, rationality, and functionality, and the idea that mass production was reconcilable with the individual artistic spirit.