'M.31' in the Mediterranean RMG PU6337
'M.31' in the Mediterranean
Signed 'W.H.C.Cluett', lower right, this is an accurate port-broadside depiction of this Royal Naval 'M'-class river monitor at anchor. This small type was put together fairly rapidly, using standard hulls but with differing weaponry basd on what was available. 'M.31' had two 6-inch BL mark XII guns and one 6-pdr Hotchkiss HA gun. She was based at Imbros island (renamed Gökçeada in 1970) on the north-west Turkish coast to January 1916 then in Egypt to March 1919. The background sugests she is here shown off the Turkish coast. One of these ships - the 'Minerva' (M.33) - has survived and is today preserved as a historic vessel at Portsmouth.