Plan of attack on Mundlah - Public domain vintage map
Title: Mandla, Madhya Pradesh
Creator: Valentine Blacker
Date Created: 1818
Date Published: 1821
Location Created: India
Physical Dimensions: 28 x 44 cm
Publisher: The Book titled on " Memoirs of the operations of the British Army in India during The Mahratta War of 1817, 1818, and 1819", Valentine Blacker, Londan, 1821.
Medium: Manuscript, in pen and ink, with watercolour on paper
Title (Original): Plan of the Attack on Mundlah Stormed on the 26th April 1818 By the Left Division of the Grand Army under the personal Command of Major General Dyson Marshall.
Creator's Lifetime: 1778/1826
Creator's Bio: Valentine Blacker was a lieutenant colonel who served in the British East India Company during the first half of the 19th century. Blacker was born in 1778 in Armagh, Ireland, and came to India and joined in the Madras army in 1798, then started his career with the Mysore campaign. Later, he was employed in Wayanad district under Col. Stevenson in 1800 and given charge of cavalry troops; he was then under Col. Agnew, and in 1802 acted as the secretary to the Col. Pater, who was then commanding the southern divisions. In the subsequent years, due to his sheer merit, he commanded and participated in many campaigns. Finally, he was appointed as the Surveyor General of India. Valentine Blacker died in 1826 and was buried in the city of Calcutta.
The British East India Company was the first joint-stock corporation to be formed in England, and it eventually became one of the most powerful trading companies in the world, with a virtual monopoly on trade in India and the East Indies. The East India Company or the British East India Company and informally as John Company was an English and later British joint-stock company, which was formed to pursue trade with the East Indies but ended up trading mainly with the Indian subcontinent and Qing China. After the defeat of the Spanish Armada in 1588, London merchants presented a petition to Queen Elizabeth I for permission to sail to the Indian Ocean. Permission was granted, and on 10 April 1591 three ships sailed from Torbay around the Cape of Good Hope to the Arabian Sea. On 31 December 1600, the Queen granted a Royal Charter to "George, Earl of Cumberland, and 215 Knights, Aldermen, and Burgesses" under the name, Governor and Company of Merchants of London trading with the East Indies. The governance of the company was in the hands of one governor and 24 directors or "committees", who made up the Court of Directors. They, in turn, reported to the Court of Proprietors, which appointed them. Ten committees reported to the Court of Directors. According to tradition, business was initially transacted at the Nags Head Inn, opposite St Botolph's church in Bishopsgate, before moving to India House in Leadenhall Street. The company played a key role in the spread of British influence in India and the development of the British Empire. However, it also became involved in corruption and exploitation, and it was eventually dissolved in 1858, following the Indian Rebellion of 1857.